BLANEL, urine alkalizer, metaphylaxis, urinary stones
BLANEL effervescent tablets
Blanel® is used to alkalize urine, for example for metaphylaxis (prevention of recurrence) of certain urinary stones (e.g. calcium oxalate stones, uric acid stones).
After the removal of stones or stones, the relapse rate depends particularly on the success of the measures taken to prevent stones from forming again.
Studies have shown that over half of the patients who have already suffered from urinary stones will have to reckon with urinary stones again. In order to keep the relapse rate as low as possible, careful monitoring and follow-up are necessary.
The aim of therapy with Blanel is to prevent new stone formation by changing the acidity of the urine or to dissolve any remaining uric acid stone residues.
For the treatment of urinary stones.
Active BLANEL, urine alkalizer, metaphylaxis, urinary stones ingredients
- 1409 mg citric acid
- 1586 mg potassium citrate-1 water
- 980 mg sodium hydrogen carbonate
- 159 mg sodium carbonate
Auxiliary BLANEL, urine alkalizer, metaphylaxis, urinary stones materials
- Flavors, natural, nature-identical
- Sodium cyclamate
- Povidone K30
- 100 mg sorbitol
Indication / BLANEL, urine alkalizer, metaphylaxis, urinary stones application
- The preparation is a means of treating urinary stones.
The medicine is used
- for metaphylaxis of calcium stones, mainly calcium oxalate stones (to prevent recurrence or increase in size of remaining fragments)
- to alkalize the urine in the case of uric acid stones, even if calcium stones are present at the same time
- To support the drug's effect, patients should be advised to reduce their salt intake and increase the amount they drink each day during treatment.
BLANEL, urine alkalizer, metaphylaxis, urinary stones dosage
Always take the medicine exactly as directed. Please ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure. Unless otherwise prescribed by your doctor, the usual dose is:
The daily dose should be selected individually for the patient so that the pH of the freshly obtained urine before the next medication is 6.0 - 7.0 (if pure uric acid stones are present, ideally a pH of 6.2 - 6.8 and im In the case of calcium stones, a pH of 6.4 - 7.0 is preferred. For this purpose, the following dosage recommendations for adults are given:
- a) 3 - 4 effervescent tablets per day divided into 3 single doses - corresponding to 9.9 - 13.2 g potassium sodium hydrogen citrate per day (ie 90 - 120 mmol alkali or 36 - 48.8 mmol citrate): morning and noon Take 1 effervescent tablet and 1 - 2 effervescent tablets in the evening.
- b) In the case of calcium stones, alternatively 1 - 2 effervescent tablets can be taken in the evening as a single dose - corresponding to 3.3 - 6.6 g potassium sodium hydrogen citrate (ie 30 - 60 mmol alkali and 12 - 24 mmol citrate).
- To check that the dosage is adequate, it is recommended that the amount of citrate excreted over 24 hours and the pH of the urine be measured at the start of therapy and with each dose adjustment. If the specified pH range is not reached or exceeded, the daily dose must be increased or decreased. Such a correction should preferably be done in the evening.
- The daily dose should be selected individually for the patient so that the pH of the freshly obtained urine before the next medication is 6.0 - 7.0 (if pure uric acid stones are present, ideally a pH of 6.2 - 6.8 and im In the case of calcium stones, a pH of 6.4 - 7.0 is preferred. For this purpose, the following dosage recommendations for adults are given:
Duration of application
- The duration of the application depends on the individual requirements of the respective patient and is determined by the attending physician.
- Please talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have the impression that the effect is too strong or too weak.
If you take more than you should:
- Cases of overdosage of potassium sodium hydrogen citrate have not yet been reported.
- In the case of adequate kidney function, an undesirable influence on metabolic parameters - even if the recommended doses are exceeded - is not to be expected, since the excretion of an excess of base by the kidneys is a normal regulatory process for maintaining the acid-base balance.
- The urine should not exceed the specified pH range for several days, as this on the one hand increases the risk of calcium phosphate crystallization and on the other hand should avoid long-term metabolic alkalosis.
- A possible overdose can be corrected at any time by reducing the dose. If necessary, measures to treat metabolic alkalosis should be considered.
If you forget to take a dose:
- Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose, but continue taking as described in the dosage instructions or as prescribed by your doctor.
If you stop taking:
- Please do not interrupt or end your treatment with the medicine without first consulting your doctor.
- If you have any further questions on the use of the medicinal product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
BLANEL, urine alkalizer, metaphylaxis, urinary stones way
- Please dissolve the effervescent tablets in a glass of drinking water after each meal according to the prescribed dosage and drink the contents of the glass completely.
Side BLANEL, urine alkalizer, metaphylaxis, urinary stones effects
- Like all medicines, this can have side effects, but not every person treated will experience them.
When evaluating side effects, the following frequencies are used as a basis:
- Very common: affects more than 1 in 10 people
- Common: affects 1 to 10 users in 100
- Uncommon: affects 1 to 10 users in 1,000
- Rare: affects 1 to 10 users in 10,000
- Very rare: less than 1 user in 10,000
- Not known: frequency cannot be estimated from the available data
- Mild gastrointestinal disorders (stomach problems, nausea, vomiting and mild diarrhea) often occur when taking potassium sodium hydrogen citrate.
- Very rare: hypersensitivity reactions.
- If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This also applies to side effects that are not specified.
BLANEL, urine alkalizer, metaphylaxis, urinary stones Interactions
When taking with other medicines
- Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking / using or have recently taken / used any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
In particular, tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines:
- So-called cardiac glycosides to strengthen the cardiac output or combat cardiac arrhythmias (active ingredient digoxin or digitoxin)
- Medicines to lower blood pressure (so-called diuretics such as triamterene, spironolactone, amiloride; so-called ACE inhibitors such as captopril or enalapril)
- Pain relievers or anti-inflammatory drugs (so-called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen, diclofenac)
- Medicines containing citrate or aluminum (e.g. in so-called antacids, which are used for acid-related complaints). Please note that you should take these medicines at different times - at least 2 hours apart.
- If you are taking cardiac glycosides or have to adhere to a low-sodium diet, you should note that a daily dose of 3 effervescent tablets (= 9.9 g potassium-sodium-hydrogen citrate) supplies 1.01 g sodium and 1.72 g potassium.
BLANEL, urine alkalizer, metaphylaxis, urinary stones Contraindications
The medicine must not be taken
- if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to citric acid, potassium citrate, sodium hydrogen carbonate, sodium carbonate or any of the other ingredients of the drug
- with impaired kidney function
- with severe liver dysfunction
- in metabolic alkalosis
- for chronic urinary tract infections with urea-cleaving bacteria (risk of struvite stone formation)
- if you have severe high blood pressure
- on a low-salt diet
- as well as in Adynamia episodica hereditaria (periodic hyperkalemic paralysis; rare hereditary disease with symptoms of paralysis).
pregnancy BLANEL, urine alkalizer, metaphylaxis, urinary stones and breast feeding period
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking / using any medicine.
- There is no experience with the use of this medicinal product in pregnant women. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you should only take the preparation if the doctor treating you clearly deems it necessary.
Patient BLANEL, urine alkalizer, metaphylaxis, urinary stones information
Take special care when taking it
- You should tell your doctor about your previous illnesses, if you know that they can contribute to the formation of urinary stones (kidney disease, parathyroid disease and malignant disease). If necessary, your doctor will carry out additional tests to rule out such conditions and, if necessary, check certain blood and urine values or carry out X-ray checks during the therapy.
- Please pay attention to the information in the dosage instructions for adjusting the so-called pH of the urine. In any case, you should avoid exceeding the recommended urine pH for several days, as this could have negative consequences.
- Do not give the medicine to children as there is insufficient data on this.
Driving and using machines
- There are no special precautions required.