Calcium-Sandoz ® Forte 500 mg
calcium (as calcium D-gluconate - calcium lactate (2: 3) 2 H2O, calcium carbonate).
Area of application:
Preventive and treatment of a calcium deficiency, calcium supplement e.g. Support of a specific Therapy for prevention. and treatment of osteoporosis, rickets and osteomalacia in addition to Vit. D3 therapy.
For CALCIUM SANDOZ forte information on risks and side effects, read the package insert and ask your doctor or pharmacist!
With increased calcium requirement.
CALCIUM SANDOZ forte Active ingredients
- 2945.15 mg calcium D-gluconate-calcium lactate mixture (2: 3) -2-water
- 300 mg calcium carbonate
CALCIUM SANDOZ forte Auxiliary materials
- Citric acid
- Macrogol 4000
- Sodium cyclamate
- Sodium bicarbonate
- Orange flavor
- Sulfur dioxide
CALCIUM SANDOZ forte Indication / application
- The drug is a mineral preparation.
It is applied
- for the prevention and treatment of calcium deficiency
- to support a special therapy for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis (bone loss).
- The preparation is also used in addition to vitamin D3 to treat rickets (softening of growing bones in children) and osteomalacia (softening of bones in adults).
- Calcium is an essential mineral that is necessary for bone formation and bone maintenance. It is absorbed in the small intestine and distributed throughout the body via the blood.
- Calcium plays an important role in some body functions. It is vital for nerve, muscle and heart function as well as for blood clotting. It also mediates the effects of many hormones. In order to do justice to all of these tasks, calcium must be present in the required concentration in the corresponding tissues.
CALCIUM SANDOZ forte dosage
- Always take this medicine exactly as described or exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
The recommended dose is
- 1 effervescent tablet (as a single dose) once or twice a day (equivalent to 500 - 1,000 mg calcium).
- 1 effervescent tablet (as a single dose) once, twice or 3 times a day (equivalent to 500 - 1,500 mg calcium).
- Please talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have the impression that the effect is too strong or too weak.
Duration of application
- Take the medicine in the dosage recommended to relieve symptoms and discomfort according to the recommended duration of use by your doctor or pharmacist.
If you take more than you should
- Overdosing can lead to symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, thirst, or constipation. If an overdose is suspected, please contact your doctor immediately.
If you forget to take a dose
- Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose.
- If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
CALCIUM SANDOZ forte way
- For oral use after dissolving in water.
- Dissolve the medicine in a glass of water (approximately 200 ml) and drink the contents immediately after dissolving the effervescent tablet. Calcium can be taken with or without food.
- Like all medicines, this medicine can have side effects, although not everybody gets them.
The frequency of side effects is based on the following categories:
- Very common: may affect more than 1 in 10 people
- Common: may affect up to 1 in 10 people
- Uncommon: may affect up to 1 in 100 people
- Rare: may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people
- Very rare: may affect up to 1 in 10,000 people
- Not known: frequency cannot be estimated from the available data
Immune system disorders
- Rare: hypersensitivity, such as reddening and / or burning of the skin, itching.
- Very rare: severe allergic reactions such as swelling of the face, lips, tongue and / or throat, which can lead to difficulty swallowing.
Metabolism and nutrition disorders
- Uncommon: excessively high levels of calcium in the blood (hypercalcaemia) or excretion of excess calcium in the urine (hypercalciuria).
- Rare: nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, constipation, flatulence, vomiting.
- If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This also applies to side effects that are not specified.
CALCIUM SANDOZ forte Interactions
Taking with other medicines
Please consult your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any medicine with any of the active substances listed below:
- Thiazide diuretics
- Sodium fluoride
- If you are taking cardiac glycosides at the same time, please carefully follow the instructions of your doctor.
- Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking / using, have recently taken / used, or may take / use any other medicines.
- Please consult your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any medicine with any of the active substances listed below:
Take with food and drink
- When consuming foods that are rich in oxalic acid or phytic acid, such as spinach, rhubarb and whole grain products, the medicine should not be taken before 2 hours at the earliest.
The medicine must not be taken
- if you are allergic to the active substance or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have high levels of calcium in your blood (hypercalcaemia)
- if you have increased calcium excretion in the urine (hypercalciuria)
- if you have certain kidney problems including: kidney stones (nephrolithiasis), calcium deposits in kidney tissue (nephrocalcinosis).
CALCIUM SANDOZ forte pregnancy and breast feeding period
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking this medicine if you are pregnant or breast-feeding, if you suspect you may be pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
- The drug can be taken during pregnancy and breastfeeding in the presence of calcium deficiency. In pregnant and breastfeeding women, the appropriate daily intake (including food and supplementary intake) is generally 1,000-1,300 mg calcium.
- During pregnancy and breastfeeding, the total daily intake should not exceed 1,500 mg calcium.
- Calcium passes into breast milk without having any harmful effects on the newborn child.
CALCIUM SANDOZ forte Patient information
Warnings and Precautions
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking the medicine.
- If you suffer from kidney disease, you should only use this preparation after consulting your doctor. This is especially true if you take preparations containing aluminum.
- Do not take vitamin D supplements with this medicine without medical advice.
- The drug must be taken no earlier than 3 hours after ingestion of oral bisphosphonates or sodium fluoride and at least 2 hours after or 4 to 6 hours before ingestion of tetracycline, as calcium reduces the absorption of these active substances.
- Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking the medicine.
Driving and using machines
- Ingestion does not affect the ability to drive or use machines.