PVP JOD AL Salbe povidone iodine
Active ingredient: povidone iodine.
Pack size:25 g Dosage form:ointment
Areas of application:
For repeated, temporary use as an antiseptic for damaged skin such as decubitus (pressure sore), leg ulcer (lower leg ulcer), superficial wounds and burns, infected and superinfected skin diseases
For repeated, temporary use as an antiseptic on damaged skin.
- 100 mg Povidone iodine
- Macrogol 400
- Macrogol 4000
- Sodium hydroxide for pH adjustment
- Purified water
Indication / povidone iodine application
For repeated, temporary use as an antiseptic on damaged skin, such as
- Decubitus (pressure sore)
- Ulcus cruris (lower leg ulcer)
- superficial wounds and burns
- infected and superinfected skin diseases
povidone iodine dosage
- Always take the preparation exactly as directed. Please ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Unless otherwise prescribed by the doctor, the ointment is usually used as follows:
- Apply the ointment evenly to the damaged area once or several times a day.
- The brown color of the ointment is a property of the preparation and indicates its effectiveness. An increasing discoloration indicates a decrease in the effectiveness of the preparation. If the color is completely discolored, there is no longer any effectiveness. If you notice that the ointment is largely discolored, you should reapply the preparation.
Duration of application
- Use of the ointment should continue as long as there are still signs of inflammation. If your symptoms have not improved after several days (2 to 5 days) of regular use, or if symptoms recur after treatment has ended, please consult your doctor.
If you use more than you should
- Please read which side effects are possible?
povidone iodine way
- The ointment is intended for external use only.
- Apply ointment evenly to the damaged area.
- If necessary, a bandage can then be applied.
The ointment is fat-free and washable. In general, it can be removed from textiles and other materials with soap and warm water. In stubborn cases, ammonia (ammonia) or fixing salt (sodium thiosulphate) can help. Both are available in pharmacies or drug stores.
- The ointment is fat-free and washable. In general, it can be removed from textiles and other materials with soap and warm water. In stubborn cases, ammonia (ammonia) or fixing salt (sodium thiosulphate) can help. Both are available in pharmacies or drug stores.
povidone iodine Side effects
- Like all medicines, the preparation can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
When evaluating side effects, the following frequencies are used as a basis:
- Very common: more than 1 in 10 people
- Common: less than 1 in 10, but more than 1 in 100 patients
- Uncommon: less than 1 in 100 but more than 1 in 1,000 patients
- Rare: less than 1 in 1,000 but more than 1 in 10,000 patients
- Very rare: less than 1 in 10,000 patients treated, or unknown
possible side effects
Immune system disorders / skin disorders
Hypersensitivity reactions of the skin, e.g. late-
type contact allergic reactions, which can manifest themselves in the form of itching, reddening, blisters, burning or similar.
- Hypersensitivity reactions of the skin, e.g. late-
- acute general allergic reactions, possibly with a drop in blood pressure and / or shortness of breath (anaphylactic reactions); acute swelling of the skin or mucous membranes (angioedema or Quincke's edema)
- Significant iodine absorption can occur if the ointment is used over a long period of time on extensive areas of skin, wounds or burns.
- Hyperthyroidism (iodine-induced hyperthyroidism), possibly with symptoms such as increased pulse rate or inner restlessness in patients with thyroid diseases
Metabolism and nutrition disorders / diseases of the kidneys and urinary tract
- After using large amounts of medicaments containing povidone-iodine (e.g. in the treatment of burns): electrolyte and serum osmolarity disorders, impaired kidney function, over-acidification of the blood (metabolic acidosis).
- Immune system disorders / skin disorders
- Please inform your doctor or pharmacist if you become seriously affected by any of the side effects listed, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet.
povidone iodine Interactions
- Please inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking / using or have recently taken / used any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
- Povidone iodine can react with protein and various other organic substances such as blood and pus components, which can impair its effectiveness.
- If the preparation and enzymatic wound treatment agents are used at the same time, the enzyme component is oxidized by the iodine and the effect of both drugs is weakened as a result.
- A mutual weakening of the effect also occurs with simultaneous use with hydrogen peroxide, taurolidine and silver-containing disinfectants or silver-containing wound dressings (formation of silver iodide).
- The preparation must not be used simultaneously or in the short term with disinfectants containing mercury, as iodine and mercury may form a substance that can damage the skin.
- Do not use the preparation at the same time as or immediately after using disinfectants containing the active ingredient octenidine on the same or adjacent areas, as this may result in temporary dark discolouration there.
- If you are being treated with lithium preparations, you should avoid long-term and / or large-scale use of the preparation, as iodine consumed can promote the possible triggering of hypothyroidism by lithium.
Influence diagnostic examinations or radio-iodine therapy
- Because of the oxidizing effect of the active ingredient povidone-iodine, various diagnostic agents can give false-positive results during treatment with the preparation (including toluidine and guaiacum resin to determine hemoglobin or glucose in stool or urine).
- Povidone-iodine can influence the thyroid's iodine uptake; During treatment with the preparation, this can lead to disturbances in diagnostic examinations of the thyroid gland (thyroid scintigraphy, PBI determination, radio-iodine diagnosis) and make a planned radio-iodine therapy impossible. There should be an interval of at least 1-2 weeks after treatment has been discontinued until a new scintigram is recorded.
When used with food and drink
- Not applicable.
povidone iodine Contraindications
The drug must not be used:
- if you have an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) or another existing (manifest) thyroid disease
- in the very rare chronic skin inflammation dermatitis herpetiformis Duhring
- during and until the end of radiation therapy with iodine (radio-iodine therapy) or if such treatment is planned for you
- if you are hypersensitive (allergic) to the active substance or any of the other ingredients
pregnancy povidone iodine and breast feeding period
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before using any medicine.
- During pregnancy and breastfeeding, the ointment should only be used on the express instructions of the doctor and extremely limited. In this case, it is necessary to check the thyroid function in the child.
- The infant should avoid ingesting the ointment through the mouth through contact with the treated part of the breast-feeding mother's body.
Patient povidone iodine information
Special care is required when using it
- If you suffer from thyroid disorders or if you have a goiter, you should only use the preparation over a long period of time and over a large area (e.g. over 10% of the body surface and longer than 14 days) if the doctor has expressly instructed you to do so. Even after the end of therapy (up to 3 months), attention should be paid to early symptoms of possible hyperthyroidism and, if necessary, thyroid function should be monitored.
- Since older people suffer more frequently from functional disorders of the thyroid gland, in older people (> / = 65 years) extensive and long-term use of the preparation should only be carried out after the express instructions of the doctor. If necessary, the thyroid function should be monitored.
Newborns and infants
- In newborns and infants up to 6 months of age, the preparation is only to be used on the express instructions of the doctor and is extremely limited. It is necessary to check the thyroid function.
- Ingestion of the ointment by the infant while breastfeeding must be avoided.
Driving and using machines
- The preparation has no influence on the ability to drive and use machines.