Mezym® F pancreatic enzyme powder film-coated tablets
Active ingredient: pancreatic powder from pork.
Areas of application:
To replace digestive enzymes in digestive disorders (maldigestion) due to insufficient or missing function of the pancreas (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency).
Note: Contains lactose and azorubine.
MEZYM F pancreatic enzyme powder Active ingredients
- Pork Pancreas Powder 80-111.111 mg
- Lactose-1 water
- Cellulose, microcrystalline
- Silica, finely divided
- Magnesium stearate (vegetable)
- Methacrylic acid-ethyl acrylate copolymer (1: 1) dispersion 30%
- Triethyl citrate
- Simeticon emulsion 30%
Indication / application
- The medicine is a medicine that contains digestive enzymes in the pancreas (pancreatic enzymes).
- It is used to replace digestive enzymes in cases of digestive weakness due to impaired function of the pancreas.
MEZYM F pancreatic enzyme powder dosage:
- Always take the medicine exactly as directed. Please ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- Treatment with the drug is aimed at achieving or maintaining a normal body weight and normalizing the frequency and quality of bowel movements. The dosage therefore depends on the extent of the indigestion.
- Unless otherwise prescribed by the doctor, the usual dose is: 2 - 4 tablets per meal (equivalent to 20,000 to 40,000 Ph.-Eur.-Units of lipase). The required dose can also be considerably higher.
- Especially in patients with cystic fibrosis, taking into account the amount and composition of the meals, the dose should not exceed the enzyme dose necessary for adequate fat absorption. The dose should only be increased under medical supervision and aimed at improving symptoms (eg fatty stools, abdominal pain). A daily enzyme dose of 15,000 to 20,000 units of lipase per kg of body weight should not be exceeded. Ensure that there is sufficient fluid intake.
Duration of application
- The duration of use depends on the course of the disease and is determined by your doctor. The drug is suitable for long-term treatment. As long as the indigestion persists, continuous administration of the drug is necessary.
- Please talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have the impression that the effect of the medicine is too strong or too weak.
If you take more medicine than you should:
- Even after taking large amounts of the drug, no symptoms of poisoning have been described; a specific therapy for overdose of the drug is not known.
If you forget to take the medicine:
- If you forget to take the medicine with a meal, you can take it later. Otherwise you will not take the medicine again until the next meal in the prescribed dosage.
- Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose.
If you stop taking the medicine:
- If you have to take the medicine to treat indigestion, these pancreatic enzymes are necessary to make the proteins, carbohydrates and fats in the food usable for the body. Without this additional supply of pancreatic enzymes from the medicine, your pancreas will not function well enough to allow normal digestion.
- If you interrupt or prematurely stop taking the medicine, the indigestion may recur, which can lead to insufficient use of the food with symptoms of deficiency and weight loss and manifest itself in symptoms such as flatulence, diarrhea and abdominal pain.
- If you have any further questions on the use of the medicinal product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
MEZYM F pancreatic enzyme powder way:
- The medicine should be swallowed whole with plenty of fluids (e.g. water, juice or lukewarm tea) during meals.
MEZYM F pancreatic enzyme powder Side effects:
Like all medicines, this can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
When evaluating side effects, the following frequencies are used as a basis:
- Very common: more than 1 in 10 people
- Common: less than 1 in 10 but more than 1 in 100 patients
- Uncommon: less than 1 in 100 but more than 1 in 1000 patients
- Rare: less than 1 in 1,000 but more than 1 in 10,000 treated
- Very rare: less than 1 in 10,000 people treated,
- Not known: frequency cannot be estimated from the available data
possible side effects
- Immediate-type allergic reactions (such as reddening of the skin, rash, sneezing, tearing, shortness of breath due to bronchial spasms) and hypersensitivity reactions (allergic reactions) of the digestive tract after ingestion of pancreatin have been described very rarely.
- In patients with cystic fibrosis, the formation of narrowing of the ileum / appendix region and the ascending colon sections has very rarely been described after administration of high doses of pancreatin.
- In patients with cystic fibrosis, increased uric acid excretion in the urine may occur, especially when taking high doses of the drug. Therefore, uric acid excretion in the urine of these patients should be monitored to avoid the formation of urinary stones.
- If you have a hypersensitivity reaction (allergic reaction) you should inform your doctor immediately and stop taking the medicine. It is advisable to have your doctor clarify which ingredient of the drug triggered the allergic reaction so that you can avoid this substance in other drugs, foods, etc. in the future.
- Please inform your doctor or pharmacist if any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice side effects not listed here.
- When evaluating side effects, the following frequencies are used as a basis:
MEZYM F pancreatic enzyme powder Interactions:
When taking / using the drug with other drugs:
- Please inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking / using or have recently taken / used any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
- The effect of the oral anti-diabetic drugs acarbose and miglitol can be reduced by taking pancreatin-containing finished medicinal products at the same time. This interaction has not yet been observed when using the drug.
- The absorption of folic acid can be reduced by the ingestion of finished medicinal products containing pancreatin, so that an additional intake of folic acid may be necessary. This interaction has not yet been observed when using the drug.
MEZYM F pancreatic enzyme powder Contraindications
The medicine must not be taken
- The medicinal product must not be used in cases of proven pork hypersensitivity (pork allergy) or hypersensitivity to any of the other ingredients of the drug, as well as acute pancreatitis and acute attacks of chronic pancreatitis during the strongly developed phase of the disease. In the decay phase during the dietary structure, however, the administration of the drug is occasionally useful if there are indications that the pancreas is still or continues to be functional.
MEZYM F pancreatic enzyme powder pregnancy and breast feeding period
pregnancy and breast feeding period
- There are no concerns about taking the medicine during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
MEZYM F pancreatic enzyme powder Patient information
Take special care when taking the drug
- The medicinal product contains active enzymes which, if released in the oral cavity, e.g. by chewing, can damage the mucous membrane there. Therefore, please ensure that you swallow the medicine whole.
- Bowel obstruction (intestinal obstruction) is a known complication in patients with cystic fibrosis. In the presence of intestinal obstruction-like symptoms, the possibility of intestinal narrowing should therefore also be considered.
Driving and using machines:
- The ability to react and perceive is not impaired by taking the medicine.